Drywall Art…...Really?

Drywall Art…...Really?

Posted by lisa curtis Eclectic Upcycle Partner & Drywall Scrap Collector on Jan 2nd 2016

Drywall Art

Yes, we came up with this idea. Why?

Well for starters we thought it would be pretty cool and of course it is unique that is for sure.

As I started working for Allied Remodeling, our sister company, I realized that many times in the home remodeling business (like many other businesses) leftover materials get tossed into the trash and sent off to landfills. While on the job for the past two years I have been busy simply trying to learn new trades (everything from electrical work to tuck pointing). Always in the back of my mind on each job I was imagining what we could do with the surplus materials.

Many of our home remodeling projects consist of wall/ceiling repair work. Of course, we use a lot of drywall. So what does one do with all of the smaller scrap pieces. Well, sometimes we can reuse these pieces on another project. However, if the pieces are too small by the time we cut them to fit the current project, they are deemed trash. It is not like one can take a 12” x 6” piece of drywall to fit a 36” x 36” repair job.

For the past year I have been the drywall scrap collector. At the end of each job I would go over to the trash pile, pick out the scrap drywall and stash it away in my car. Ha, many of the guys on the job looked at me like I was crazy.

I started researching about drywall and these are some of the facts that I discovered:

Just an FYI Drywall is 90% gypsum and 10% paper

1. When Gypsum Drywall Is Disposed in Landfills

When gypsum drywall is disposed in landfills, a series of biological and chemical reactions can occur that have the potential for adverse environmental impacts. When drywall in a landfill gets wet, some of the sulfate from the gypsum dissolves into the water. If this “leachate” reaches the groundwater, contamination with sulfate may result. The US federal secondary drinking water standard for sulfate is 250 mg/L. Concentrations above this level have been observed in the groundwater at unlined C&D debris landfills. The sulfate also contributes to the high total dissolved solids (TDS) concentrations observed in groundwater at many C&D debris landfills.

Courtesy of www.cdrecycling.org/drywall-recycling

2.Drywall in Construction and Demolition

The Construction and Demolition drywall recycling market has gained steam in recent years. Depending on the region, C&D debris comprises an estimated 25 to 45 percent of North American waste, and up to 25% of that waste is recycled. However, that still leaves a whopping 75% that is landfilled. This problem is beginning to come into the radar of state legislating bodies, and soon it may be necessary to find alternatives to land filling any C&D waste, particularly drywall, which accounts for about 26% of C&D waste.

Courtesy of www.usagypsum.com/recyclingimportance.aspx

So as you can see, it is important to upcycle drywall. We are doing our part in a little way, however, it all adds up. We came up with our first drywall art products. - Upcycled drywall with vintage ads and various comics from Playboy Magazines. Products that are fun, creative, humorous and good for the environment.

So Drywall Art…...Really?

Yes, we came up with this idea, why not?

Check out all of our Drywall Art Products